How to apply for a rental property with a PET
Thinking about getting a Pet? Got a fur baby already and need to move into a new rental home? How do you overcome the pet unfriendly landlords and property management agents? This page is to help you apply for a rental property with a pet.
The reasons for saying no to a pet can run deeper than simply potential pet damage. As a pet owner myself and a tenant I understand the struggle. I love my fur babies but my Landlord doesn’t. How do you overcome some of these negatives?
Challenges facing tenants looking to find a rental property with a pet
One of the challenges facing tenants is pet acceptance, Landlord may have had a previous bad experience with pets that leads them to dismiss any application by people who own pets. The house owner may even be allergic to your animal or they may have been bitten as a child and now have misconceptions about animals.
Our Top 5 Pet Solutions on behalf of the team at Surreal Property Group:
- Try a Pet Resume. Describe your pet, breed, size, age, personality and weight. If the receiver of your application is not a dog person then they will not know what a “Schnauser” looks like.
- Add a photo or a few, make some of them funny and show your pet’s personality.
- Ask an old neighbour to write a reference for your pet.
- Ask your current agent to write a reference, that inspections were good and that there was no pet damage.
- Remember before you move a pet into your family you MUST have written permission from your landlord.
On behalf of the team here at Surreal Property Group we wish you all the best for your rental future and want to help you find the perfect home for you and your Pet.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have property questions or inquiries for our team. We love servicing the Bayswater, Wantirna, Knox and surrounding areas.
Map of our location in Bayswater Victoria 3153